Freeport, Illinois – The Boys & Girls Club of Freeport will be participating in National Family Volunteer Day this Saturday November 19th, 2016 from 12:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. which is a day of service that celebrates the power of families who work together to support their communities and neighborhoods.
Volunteering is a great way for kids and adults to make new friends, develop compassion for those in need, and even pick up a new skill or two! It’s an amazing day to bring your family together and make your mark on the world.
The mission of The Boys and Girls Club of Freeport & Stephenson County is to help youth of all backgrounds, with special concern for those from disadvantaged circumstances, develop the qualities needed to become responsible citizens and leaders, irrespective of race, color, creed or national origin.
Family volunteering strengthens families and strengthens communities.
Whether it is the whole family volunteering together, one parent with one child or teen, or with extended family such as grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, families engaging in service can help mobilize thousands of new volunteers and instill in the next generation a lifelong commitment to volunteering.
THE IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY SERVICE
Research suggests that engaging parents and their children in service together has important positive outcomes for everyone involved. There are many benefits to volunteering as a family.
1. Kids and teens cultivate positive values, such as caring and empathy, and develop a commitment to service both now and in the future.
2. By participating in volunteer activities, kids and teens feel appreciated and respected, as well as learn new skills in the process.
3. Parents get to spend quality time with their children in a positive environment, while serving as role models, leading by example and passing on important values.
4. Families increase their sense of cohesion, well-being, and connections to the broader community.
5. The combination of ages and generations within a family means they have everything needed to make meaningful change in the community: energy, creativity, passion, knowledge and experience, as well as different perspectives and skills.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Come out to the Boys and Girls Club of Freeport this Saturday and join other local people in this national family volunteer day.
511 S Liberty Ave # 2, Freeport, IL 61032