Illinois State Trooper Stuck Outside Patrol Car And Killed During Traffic Stop on I-294

DOWNERS GROVE, IL – Illinois State Police issued a press release earlier today from the desk of (ISP) Director Leo P. Schmitz who announced the line of duty death of ISP District 15 (Downers Grove) Trooper Christopher Lambert.

On the afternoon of January 12, 2019, at approximately 4:45 p.m., Trooper Christopher Lambert #6527, was on scene of a three-vehicle traffic crash, in the left lane on I-294 near Willow Road. While handling that crash another vehicle in traffic failed to stop and struck Trooper Lambert while he was outside of his patrol car. Trooper Lambert sustained serious injuries as a result the crash and was given CPR by an off duty nurse, before being transported to Glenbrook Hospital. At approximately 7:24 p.m., Trooper Lambert succumbed to his injuries.

christopher lambert downers grove

“Trooper Lambert was a great trooper and was respected by those within and from outside the ISP, this is a tremendous loss which could have been prevented and should have never happened,” said ISP Director Leo P. Schmitz. “Trooper Lambert deliberately placed his vehicle in a position to protect the lives of the victims of the previous crash, and took on the danger himself. He will be remembered for his dedication to the Illinois State Police and for giving the ultimate sacrifice to protect and serve the citizens of Illinois.”

Trooper Lambert was a five year veteran of the Illinois State Police District 15 in Downers Grove and was assigned to the Criminal Patrol Team. Trooper Lambert was also a prior member of the United States Army.

Additional information will be released once it becomes available. Trooper Lambert’s visitation and funeral arrangements are pending.

Social News

15 hours ago

Illinois State Police

Move Over and Slow Down for ALL vehicles on the shoulder:

Police 🚓 Fire Department 🚒 Ambulance 🚑
Tow trucks 🚚 Department of Transportation vehicles 🔶 Stalled vehicles 🚗 Crashed vehicles 🚙 Whatever vehicle you see on the side of the road....

Think to yourself, 🤔 “What if that were me sitting there?! I’d want everyone to move over and slow down!”

And then....safely move over to the next lane, or if you’re unable to move over, slow down and proceed with due caution.

#WeThankYou
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

I am a cdl driver , what pisses me off is that state troopers are extremely tough on enforcement on commercial vehicles and not as much on regular passenger vehicles. I always move over and slow down . This can’t be said for the people operating their own vehicles. Focus more on enforcing the “ move over for emergency vehicles “ on those operating personal vehicles.

“...What if it were me sitting there”, food for thought 👍🏼

Slow down and move over and if you are in the left lane let the right lane folks in. They will return to their right hand lane.

I like to move to the front of CMVs

I've always moved over just common sense to me, but I did get pulled over in Jackson, Ms by the cop i moved over for. He said he pulled me over for driving in passing lane, I said i moved over because you had someone pulled over soon as I went by i moved back over. I don't think he was to bright lol.

This is a law isn’t it?

+ View more comments

20 hours ago

Illinois State Police

TROOPER CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT

Visitation and Funeral Services

DOWNERS GROVE, IL – Illinois State Police (ISP) officials continue to mourn the loss of Trooper Christopher Lambert, #6527.

On January 12, 2019, at approximately 4:45 p.m., Trooper Christopher Lambert was on the scene of a three-vehicle traffic crash in the left lane on Interstate 294 near Willow Road. While handling that crash, another vehicle in traffic failed to stop and struck Trooper Lambert while he was outside of his patrol car. Trooper Lambert sustained serious injuries and was transported to Glenbrook Hospital. At approximately 7:24 p.m., Trooper Lambert succumbed to his injuries.

Trooper Christopher Lambert grew up in Dayton, Ohio. He loved baseball and was an avid Chicago Cubs and Chicago Bears fan. Trooper Lambert began his career with the ISP in 2013 as a member of Cadet Class 123. Upon his graduation from the ISP Academy, he was assigned to District 15 in Downers Grove. At the time of his passing, he was assigned to the District 15 Criminal Patrol Team. Throughout his career with the ISP, Trooper Lambert was recognized for his hard work, criminal interdiction efforts, and for being a rising leader amongst his peers. Trooper Lambert served honorably in the United States Army for eight years.

Trooper Christopher Lambert is survived by his wife, one-year-old daughter, and parents. The ISP would like to thank the public for their support and condolences during this difficult time.

Please see visitation and funeral arrangements below:
More media specific information (i.e. procession route, media staging area, etc.) will be sent out in the near future.

VISITATION: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 2:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Willow Creek Community Church
67 Algonquin Road, South Barrington, Illinois 60010
Law Enforcement walk-through will begin at 6:00 p.m.

FUNERAL: Friday, January 18, 2019, 10:00 a.m.
Willow Creek Community Church
67 Algonquin Rd., South Barrington, Illinois 60010

INTERNMENT: Private

In lieu of flowers, donations may made to the Lambert family by visiting the Illinois State Police Heritage Foundation website at www.isphf.org/donations, or via U.S. mail to Illinois State Police Heritage Foundation, P.O. Box 8168, Springfield, Illinois 62791. On the website, please ensure to note in the comments section, “Trooper Lambert Memorial Fund.”

# # #
... See MoreSee Less

TROOPER CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT

Visitation and Funeral Services

Please see visitation and funeral arrangements below:

VISITATION: Thursday, January 17, 2019, 2:00 - 8:00 p.m.
 Willow Creek Community Church
67 Algonquin Road, South Barrington, Illinois 60010
Law Enforcement walk-through will begin at 6:00 p.m.

FUNERAL: Friday, January 18, 2019, 10:00 a.m.
Willow Creek Community Church
67 Algonquin Rd., South Barrington, Illinois 60010

INTERNMENT: Private

# # #

Comment on Facebook

“I did my duty, I paid the supreme price I pray you'll remember, my sacrifice My life was short, I did my best God grant me peace, In my eternal rest”

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. Thank you for your service and dedication.RIP !

I can say that The Illinois State Police is the best in the country and always Professional. Rest In Paradise Officer Lambert and Prayers to the Wife, baby daughter, parents, and ISP Family.

RIP sir, your brothers and sisters in blue will keep the watch from here

This is very sad. I slowed down when I saw the ISP motorcade going South on 294 late Saturday night with the wrecked cars in tow. I think I saw the wreck earlier on the north side of 294 that day going South. I didn't know of his death. So sad. Rest in peace.

God bless his soul & lift up his wife, child & family in His comforting strength.

Prayers for all his family- and know that he was indeed a hero. My heart breaks for his loved ones.

RIP Hero. You will be truly missed. 💙👮‍♂️

Thank you for choosing to have a life is service. RIP and God Bless your family 💔😪

May GOD Bless your Soul!! Please give Comfort & Strength to his wife & one year old daughter & parents.. This is Such a Tradgedy , doing the job he trained to do But how senseless to lose his life helping others. But Jesus tells us How we should lay our life down for our neighbor....He certainly did that!! RIP

Prayers to his family ❤️

May God grant him Eternal Peace, brave Trooper Lambert....and comfort his poor, grieving family, God Bless them....

So sad, thank you for your service

I’ve been to too many LEO funerals this last year. RIP brother. We have the line.

Sending prayers for healing comfort and peace 🙏🏼

Thank you for your service Trooper Lambert. Rest In Peace Sir. My deepest condolences to your family and all brother and sister in blue.

My sincere prayers and condolences to the trooper's family.

Thank you Trooper Lambert for your many years of service and may you rest in peace. May the love of so many help the Lambert family.

RIP Trooper Lambert. May God take your family in his arms and console them as he took your hand and welcomed you into heaven.

R.I.P. Thank you for your service. Prayers extended to his family & his family in Blue. God bless you all.

R I P Troooer Lambert Our hearts and prayers go out to Loved ones, family and friends.🙏

RIP and Thank You for your service 🙏

Thoughts and prayers to all the ISP brothers and sisters out there and his family.

Thoughts & prayers to his family, friends & all of the ISP. <3 RIP hero.

Prayers to the family

+ View more comments

22 hours ago

Illinois State Police

#MoveOver

Illinois law includes all emergency vehicles as well as stranded motorists on the roadway with their hazard lights activated, tow trucks, etc.
... See MoreSee Less

#MoveOver

Comment on Facebook

Probably should move over for ALL stopped vehicles. You know, like someone changing a flat tire...

Not only is it state law but it is just common courtesy, as long as I’m not blocked in by a semi or a passing vehicle I always get over for vehicles on the shoulder

Time to bring back the old bumper stickers on the back of marked ISP & IDOT units..

Just imagine you’re sitting on the side of the road in your car and someone drives by in the lane directly next to you, fast enough to make your car shake. Really gets your attention.

Post this one

And don't wait until last minute to move over! We should all have the same goal - - -> that everyone always gets home safely!!

Please ticket the dumbf*cks who go around me on the right after I've moved over.

It's sad you guys even have to post this

I did this just this morning.

I got pulled over for not moving over... I did slow down but with traffic I could not move to the left.. as I sat there a good 50 cars and truck went by non- of them slowing or moving over... after about 20 minute the officer came back and said I decided to give you a warning

State Police, I have a great idea to fix this problem right now on the spot.... Take the squad on the traffic stop and put the full squad right in the lane of traffic!! One way of another then they MUST move over at a slower speed!!!!!

I’m amazed at how many people don’t do this with the left lane wide open. Glad it’s a law now, as it has been in Indiana for a long time.

I want to know why some towns like oak brook, IL tell their officers to park in the right lane instead of getting over to the side of the road? They are asking for Danger. 🚗🚓

Scott’s Law...Oye

Get the word out, keep on sharing the hell out of these!!!!

People are seriously ignorant for not moving over unless there's a car right next to you. Emergency vehicles or any vehicle on the side.

+ View more comments

2 days ago

Illinois State Police

#MOVEOVER, #SLOWDOWN, and proceed with due caution.

Remembering Trooper Christopher Lambert #6527, End of Watch 1-12-19.

Trooper Lambert was struck and killed by a motorist while on-duty Saturday afternoon as he was outside of his vehicle working a traffic crash on I-294.

American Association of State Troopers (AAST)
Illinois State Police District 15 Downers Grove

American Association of State Troopers (AAST)
A message from troopers in eight states: #MOVEOVER
... See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

It's sad in this day and age that people cant use common sense and move the hell over.not only for troopers but tow trucks, highway workers,anyone for that matter. #PayAttention #PutYourPhonesDown #WatchTheRoadAndJustDrive

We should move over for ANY vehicle parked along side of road.

Too many self-important people on the road today. Can't be bothered with moving over and slowing down because they're too inconvenienced by running a few minutes late.

Thank you for all you do always. Sorry for your and our loss.

Anything with traffic is very dangerous

The driver has not been charged yet... why?

Not to change the subject, did the person responsible for the death of officer Lambert get their just due?

Move over or pull over

It’s #6527 you have a typo

On the way to work today I got a $120.00 ticket for talking on my cell phone. I thought if it’s a emergency you can use your phone. Could of gave me a warning ticket

We in Utah and Utah Highway Patrol send condolences to the ISP and the Lambert we lost a Illinois Native Several years ago hit by a car as well in Rememberence of Illinois Native and Utah State Trooper Joseph Burnett III And Illinois State Trooper Christopher Lambert

He was also a veteran, husband, father of a toddler. Hope the Illinois State Police retire license plate 15-183. That was his squad plate.

All it takes is to drive well ahead of yourself at all times and if you see flashing lights ahead, slow down! Always change lanes on 4 lane roads to provide a safe area for officers and others pulled over on the shoulders of roads and on two lane highways, do your best to proceed with caution. Police officers, tow truck operators, repair truck drivers have their lives on the line if you don't do so.

God bless all who serve thank you for your service. Be safe

Trafficking is so very dangerous

+ View more comments