Freeport, Illinois — At its regular meeting held Tuesday evening January 17, 2017 in the Freeport Middle School Conference Room, the Freeport School District Board of Education:
● Congratulated several students who were recognized as Journal-Standard Student Spotlights during the first half of the school year. (Additional contact: Jesse Johnson, Communication Specialist, 815-801-0109, email@example.com)
● Received an update on the results of the district Communication Effectiveness Survey, which was conducted during the fall to gain feedback from parents and community members.
As part of the district improvement plan, the district is working to increase communication with parents and community. Overall, survey results showed that a majority of participants were mostly satisfied with the level of communication they receive from the district.
However, these results provide a baseline of data to build upon in future years and to guide district communication efforts. (Additional contact: Jesse Johnson, Communication Specialist, 815-801-0109, firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Approved a bid from Midwest Transit for the purchase of seven buses for $548,823. The district has continued its goal of maintaining a bus fleet that has no buses on the road over ten years old.
To meet this goal, the district has implemented a combination purchase and lease plan that maintains the fleet of buses at or below ten years of age. This year, the district has three buses coming off lease and four that have reached ten years. (Additional contact: Dr. Patrick McDermott, Asst. Supt. of Business & Finance, 815-232-0304, email@example.com
● Approved the proposed 2017-2018 school year calendar. The calendar will be posted for viewing on the district website. (Additional contact: Dr. Mike Schifman, Superintendent, 815-232-0308, mike.schif firstname.lastname@example.org)
● Approved the purchase and adoption of a new K-8 Reading Program for the district called Schoolwide.
This recommendation is the result of a comprehensive curriculum review of K-8 Reading completed by teachers, administrators, and the Curriculum & Instruction Department.
The projected cost of resources, professional development, and stipends for all K-8 teachers is $274,913, to be paid out of Title I Funds. (Additional contact: Dr. Duane Meighan, Asst. Supt. of Curriculum & Instruction, 815-232-0310, email@example.com)
● Approved the renewal of the intergovernmental agreement with Dakota School District for student transportation services.
Discussions with the Dakota superintendent have determined that the agreement has been in the best interest of both school districts. (Additional contact: Dallas Pieper, Director of Enrollment & Transportation, 815-232-0580, firstname.lastname@example.org)
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings.
The next scheduled regular meeting will be held Tuesday, February 7th at 6:00 PM at the Freeport Middle School Conference Room, located at 701 W. Empire Street.