Freeport, Illinois — At its regular meeting held Tuesday evening at the FSD Administration Building, the Freeport School District Board of Education:
● Congratulated Carl Sandburg Middle School Asst. Principal Ben Asche, who was recently named Assistant Principal of the Year by the Northwest Region of the Illinois Principals Association.
● Recognized the Freeport High School National Honor Society for their accomplishments and acts of service in the school and community. The NHS’ new member induction will take place in March.
● Received a mid-year update on the progress of the district’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction relating to their top priorities for 2016-2017. This school year, efforts have been focused on eight instructional focus areas:
1) District Assessments,
2) Kindergarten Individual Development Survey,
3) Secondary Math Implementation,
4) K-5 Math Curriculum Review,
5) Technology Department,
6) Elementary Reading,
7) K-12 Art Curriculum Review and Music Exploration, and
8) 21st Century Teaching and Learning.
The department continues to work on the development of an aligned Standards Based Instructional System in an effort to increase academic achievement for all students.
● Received an update on the implementation of PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports) in all FSD schools through a presentation of second quarter data for each building. PBIS is a prevention-oriented approach for assisting schools in organizing evidence-based behavioral interventions, improving the implementation of those practices, and maximizing academic and social behavior outcomes for all students.
● Approved the renewal of the CollegeNOW Agreement with Highland Community College for the 2017-2018 school year.
CollegeNOW is an accelerated academic program in which FSD students who qualify have the opportunity to ultimately earn both a high school diploma and an associates degree simultaneously.
The financial impact to the District is a $5,000 tuition cost per student to be paid from the per pupil allotment.
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings.
The next scheduled regular meeting will be held Tuesday, March 7th at 6:00 PM at Carl Sandburg Middle School at 1717 W. Eby Street.
Latest Marketplace News