Freeport, Illinois — It’s a fear we all have in the back of our minds anytime we sit behind the wheel of a car, and one that an unsuspecting Freeport man found himself right in the middle of after an accident happened directly in front of him on Highway 26 on Tuesday.

We received reports that a 17 year old driver, whose name is being withheld, was driving home to Durand, Illinois from Highland Community College in Freeport when his vehicle appears to have struck the back end of a Moring Disposal semi, traveling at what is said to have been about 55 mph.

According to one person on the scene, the young driver of the vehicle was traveling on Hwy. 26 when a Moring Disposal semi appeared to have pulled onto the highway from Van Buren road. The driver’s vehicle hit the semi and is said to have flown over a ditch, ultimately landing in a corn field next to the road.

Mike McLain of Freeport was traveling on the highway just seconds away when he noticed the accident ahead. McLain said he saw parts of the drivers vehicle in the road, at which point he immediately pulled over and ran to the aid of the driver of the vehicle.

As he was approaching the scene, McLain says he noticed the semi driver talking on the phone and asked if he was talking with 911, which according to McClain he wasn’t. At that point McLain yelled to the semi driver to call 911.

McLain says as he noticed the driver of the crashed vehicle disoriented, unsure of where he was and what appeared, and locked inside the vehicle. As McLain was trying to talk with the driver and assess the situation, he says he noticed that the front end of the jeep had been “pushed so far back that it had bent the hinges on the doors”, not allowing the doors to open.

Knowing the driver would have to be removed from the vehicle, McLain says he just instinctively staring prying on the passenger side door hinges in order to get the door open.  It was at that moment McLain says, that things became a little strange.

“While I’m prying the door open on this young kid’s vehicle, a black SUV pulls up next to me, in the corn field, literally right next to me and the vehicle that crashed with a man and woman inside. They never get out of the vehicle, they didn’t ask about the teen involved, they just pulled up and asked me what the kid’s name was.” McLain says they then asked if the kid was insured.

McLain said the statement took him back a second, to which he replied, “now is not the time for that” and just about then he heard the sirens off in the distance, presuming the sound to be the ambulance or paramedics on the way. McLain says he looked back over at the vehicle, only to see the SUV with its two passengers inside, taking off through the corn field leaving the scene.

When the ambulance and paramedics arrived, McLain says they took the teen driver to Freeport Memorial Hospital, and soon after airlifted him to Madison where he is at the present moment. McLain said it took two paramedics to eventually pry the doors open on the vehicle.

“I just couldn’t believe when I got there that the semi driver hadn’t called 911, that he called his company first”, McLain said. “The SUV pulling up with two additional people in the car, asking about the kids insurance really made me angry.”

“This kid could have been dying for all I knew and here someone’s asking me if the kid has insurance? Not even getting out of the car to help? Then as soon as you hear the sirens you take off?”

“I felt sick to my stomach”, McLain said.

McLain did say he has been in contact with the teen’s Mother who has said her son is currently doing good. “They continue to monitor him”, she told McLain in a message. She also thanked Mike for his efforts to help her son.

“Thank you so much for everything you did for my son may God bless you”, she told him.

McLain’s advice; he says the first thing you do if you see an accident is call 911. “You don’t wait for your company to show up, you don’t find out if the person has insurance or what their name is,  you call 911”.

“In such a case, that hesitation could mean the life of someone’s friend, grandparent or in this case, it could have meant the life of someone’s son.”

McLain says he didn’t do anything special and says he’s not deserving of any praise, noting that he just “did what anyone should do” in a situation like that. McLain says he’s just glad the kid is OK.

We’re still waiting on the official police report of the accident.

FREE Business Accounts Try Prime FREE FREE Wedding Registry

Freeport News Network

Broadcast news, stories and entertainment for Stephenson County

105 thoughts on “Freeport Man’s Heroic Efforts May Have Saved Young Teen’s Life During Tuesday Afternoon Accident Involving Semi

• October 19, 2017 at 1:57 pm

This man did the right thing. God Bless him for helping this young man

• October 19, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Interesting story. I wonder what happened and why another SUV would pull up and ask about insurance if they weren’t involved in the accident?

• October 19, 2017 at 2:12 pm

I also understand the frustration about the driver calling into dispatch first, however there is such an assault on truckers/trucking that they have to call it in asap so that an investigation into the accident can start immediately. More times than not as soon as it is called into dispatch, dispatch takes the initial info and either calls 911 for the driver, or they hang up with the driver and the driver then calls 911. Dispatch then calls it immeidately into their ins co so a full investigation with reconstruction and legal can start.

• October 19, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Probably the farmer wanting the cars insurance to pay for any damages! ‍♀️

• October 19, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Domoni Stoehr-Macomber most wouldn’t thankfully but times are changing and not for the better. Smh! I sincerely hope that’s not the case but that’s the only reason I could see as to why someone would ask about insurance.‍♀️

• October 19, 2017 at 3:13 pm

It could have been all innocent. Let’s say it was a farmer, the farmer that owns the land, and they cane up on it afterwards and maybe didn’t realize it was a 2 car accident with injuries. Maybe they thought someone just lost control and ended up in their field and the dump truck saw it and called it in. Only those parties would know.

• October 19, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Kim Moring Nope.. the property owner was in a Pickup and arrived on scene after the paramedics etc arrived !!

• October 19, 2017 at 3:31 pm

I was just thinking it was just all innocent and coming up on the accident late. Maybe it was a personal injury attorney/ambulance chaser?

• October 19, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Look ..I have no need to Defend… Just trying to answer as Best i can..

• October 19, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Well regardless, Mike McLain thank you for staying with that young man and doing what you can to help. That is the important part. Most people just keep driving, or apparently stop to ask about insurance (very strange).

• October 19, 2017 at 3:44 pm

It’s one of those.. you had to be there.. Times !! No matter what.. He is Safe all that Really matters to me !!

• October 19, 2017 at 6:00 pm

I bet it was the truck driver’s company that’s showed up!

• October 19, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Deleana Atz human life first – check on the person first, call 911 then your company – not cya!!

• October 19, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Deb Hayes McCoy mm hmm. Just telling you from experience. No reason to yell.

• October 19, 2017 at 10:22 pm

at the End of the day..I have seen positive responses and a few negative.. Really The only thing i care about..is He is Alive and in a safe place !! After this…

• October 19, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Nice job it’s easy for people to say after the fact what they would have done better but the fact is you do your best in the moment and that’s all anybody could possibly ask of you I appreciate that you cared enough to help

• October 21, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Deleana Atz how about “is he okay? Do you need help? Did anyone call 911?” Before asking about insurance –

• October 21, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Barbara Mason Kuhl – not sure what you are talking about. Agree with your statement. Find it very strange someone would pull up and ask about insurance which is what I stated above. But thanks. I guess.

• October 19, 2017 at 2:16 pm

While this is a good Samaritan story, people need to understand that unless there is an immanent threat, such as fire or you have medical training assessing situation is a good thing, but moving an injured person is a big no no.

• October 19, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Why do you think I wouldnt allow him to Move?….. Small examination to check for Bleeding ,Broken Bones etc..and any info name age etc.. so i could pass the info to paramedics and in that time keep them talking and alert !!

• October 19, 2017 at 3:42 pm

I would re read what I wrote. I never said YOU moved him or let him move. I also Never said assessing a situation was a bad thing and I did not single you out. Sorry you think I did.

• October 19, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Angry how freaking insensitive could that driver be!! Prayers going up to that young man for a full and speedy recovery

• October 19, 2017 at 2:23 pm

I am sure he was in a panic and scared. It’s a shame the name of the company was published, as we live in a judgmental and hate filled society and comments like yours were sure to follow. How sad…..

• October 19, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Kay Hadjokas 911 should of been first priority what if that was your child or loved one?? I have a feeling you personally know that driver

• October 19, 2017 at 3:20 pm

I can Agree with shock … That is for sure possible.. Because it Was a Scary site no Doubt about it !! However little kids know about 911

• October 19, 2017 at 6:36 pm

You only know what you have read it doesn’t mean it is the truth!! There is a hell of a lot more to this story than what is written!!

• October 20, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Sheri Segner No I do not know him, I just am tired of judgement statements.

• October 20, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Lol judgmental should be the least of his worries right now!! Any updates on this young boy?

• October 20, 2017 at 4:03 pm

No one passing judgement on him…… he is passing judgement on the driver of the semi….. the driver of the semi did not get a citation from the police but the young man did…. was he perhaps texting on his phone???? That young man could have hit and killed someone else and all people are talking about is the driver of the Semi not doing something right per Mike.

• October 19, 2017 at 9:20 am

I’m sure the truck driver was in panic and frightened and made a wrong judgement call, it’s a shame the name of the company was put in this article because we now live in a world a judgement and hate, ……just wait for it.

• October 19, 2017 at 2:35 pm

I am so glad he was on the scene when he was. This demonstrates the clear differences between those who help and those who help themselves. Praying for a speedy and full recovery for the young man, and a change in policy for all companies involved in accidents.

• October 19, 2017 at 9:50 am

When in this situation 911 should be the first thing to come to your mine . They bring help ! should it be cops , ambulance , what ever it should be and to ask about insurance was way out of line.

• October 19, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Policy should change with truckers calling 911 first and foremost. then call your company. The company is not on scene and can not give details to emergency personal. there is always time after getting help to call the company that you are working for. It is called priorities!!!!! and thank You Mike for being in the right place at the right time

• October 19, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Soooo, after reading the article, I see nothing “heroic” that this good Samaritan did? YES, he did stop, which is what about 99% of us American’s would do, for someone possibly in need.
    Had he administered lifesaving medical help, then yes, but I think “heroic” is often used too much to “lure” in readers.
    Thanks Mike, for being there.
    The “does he have insurance” things seems VERY suspicious to me.
    The article mentions nothing heroic, at least from what I read.

• October 19, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Nope.. Nothing Heroic I agree.. and Very wrong about 99% . how many cars went passed on a Highway and NOT 1 person !!! It was a hot mess..and a Crazy Time !! I think the problem is people used to help.. now everyone either breaks out a phone and films or doesn’t do a damn thing.. or both !!

• October 20, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Mike McLain when others see someone has already stopped, they tend to -pass by, believing they would only be in the way, Imagine, if EVERY car stopped, how backed up the scene would be. As a former Emergency Responder, it DOES get quite hectic! People are ALSO afraid of the liability, which lawyers have created! It is sad.
      Thank you for what you did, Mike!

• October 19, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Awesome job Mike McLain, there needs to be more caring people in this world and you sir are a hero

• October 19, 2017 at 3:37 pm

• October 19, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Guess I won’t ever use Moring if they would be more concerned with call their office than 911. Stupid!

• October 19, 2017 at 3:59 pm

I agree that 911 should have been called first – no doubt. I don’t know you Mike but thank you for having common sense. It seems its lacking a lot in todays world. everybody is so worried about being sued that they don’t stop and think anymore about human kindness.

• October 19, 2017 at 4:35 pm

I think you better get your facts straight today in the port did you check with 911 to see if perhaps he did call 911 before I think you might be getting your facts a little mixed up

• October 19, 2017 at 5:26 pm

I have almost hit several vehicles out there flying off of Van Buren onto 26. Hope this kid is okay

• October 19, 2017 at 6:08 pm

First of all don’t criticize anyone for what they do. Put yourself in the situation and you would want some one to help you. O wpid you just like them to walk away?

• October 19, 2017 at 6:35 pm

First and foremost today in the port there are a hell of a lot of more facts to the story that are not written down!! Don’t go praising everyone is the hero unless you know the true facts of the whole damn story!!!

• October 19, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Tell me teri… I am interested to know.. what i didnt see..and who was there to help..Not a Soul… Until Freeport PD, EMT’s and Fire Department Arrived thats who !!! So.. Really please do tell !!! I would Love to know !!

• October 19, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I claim no heroism ..I claim Humanity !! This is What I ran to without thinking twice about it !!! I Will Be Waiting for that Answer !!!

• October 19, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Mike a true hero isn’t a person that is standing by waiting on Facebook to see everybody’s response of what a hero he is that is called Humanity what you did and what anyone else I would hope do is called Humanity it’s called caring checking to see if that person is okay heroes in my book are the ones overseas fighting for our freedoms that’s a hero those coming home in caskets from Afghanistan those are heroes what you did was humanitarian

• October 19, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I didnt write this article.. and if you read my comments.. that is exactly what i said…I am no Hero ..I did what anyone should do !!! so don’t try and Be a Jerk for No reason.. My Exact Words are at the top !! THIS is what it said… As Much as Any Person would Love to Have a Cape & Super Powers…a Hero I am Not… all I would ever ask of anyone in the same situation is Help those in Trouble !! Look to Our Service Men and Women ..Look to our Police, paramedics , Firemen …. I Did what I could When I could !! I Appreciate the Very nice comments..and even the People questioning what occurred…. Please do ask I will do my best to answer as I see them..but this article is Spreading so Quickly it is Difficult !!

• October 19, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Great job Mike McLain. Don’t know why SUV ask about Insurance. If morning disposal pull out in front. It is mornings Insurance. Some people can be so in concert. Hope this young man has a full recovery.

• October 19, 2017 at 7:03 pm

You do not have all the facts to this story and don’t believe everything you have read… It was a Freeport Recycling Center truck not Moring Disposal same owner different company ….. and that’s only one detail of the story there are several more to this story that no one knows about

• October 19, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Don’t believe it..I was There !!! Lets bring out the polygraph .. See who is the Liar and who has the facts !!

• October 19, 2017 at 7:12 pm

God bless you for tending to this emergency. Agree. Call 911. Start praying and assisting to do what can be done. Prayers for this young student.

• October 19, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Wow! The negative people and comments? Uncalled for completely. Thank you for what you did Mike McLain. If it were me, any one I loved/ cared for, or anyone for that matter; I’d be thankful for you being there.

• October 19, 2017 at 9:22 pm

There is always gonna be a Negative… it is what it is.. I didn’t do this for Glory.. I did it Because Someone had to !! and I Hope for those Negative people.. that someone is there for them when they need it most !!

• October 19, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Mike McLain I agree. I’m not sure why I’m surprised. It’s distasteful and disgusting that people have to be that way. I know you didn’t do it for the glory. You did it, as any good/caring person would.

• October 20, 2017 at 5:11 am

Sorry for any accidents, but no one read the news very good. If the truck pulled out of Van Buren rd, It would have gone a little farther then just off the rd, as there is water right after turning.The corn field is by bike path.Also speed limit I don’t think is 55 there and is 2 lanes. People in suv could have been coming from the office on Van Buren and saw help was there.Lets all slow down and be on the watch for others.

• October 20, 2017 at 3:26 pm

I don’t know Mike McLain but as a parent of a child that was in an accident similar to this one you are a hero. I never knew the 4 women that stopped when my daughter’s car went airborne and landed upside down skidding through a cornfield but just knowing someone was there talking with her and trying to keep her calm and safe until paramedics arived was a godsend. Just knowing she wasn’t alone in such a scary situation at a young age made me extremely grateful for them. We may not know all the facts of what happened and that is between those involved and for us not to make accusations and pass judgement. Hero’s and good Samaritans can be anybody. Not all choose to help and for those that do it gives hope that there are good people out there. My definition of a hero must be different than others because I agree that people fighting for my freedom, police men and women, paramedics, doctors, nurses, and the list goes on forever are hero’s but so are the people in everyday life that do simple acts of kindness. The main concern in this situation should be are the TWO involved in the accident alright not whether Mike only stopped for the glory.

• October 20, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Different circumstances…..different story…. I have children also and if anyone of them were involved in an accident, I too would appreciate that a good Samaritan would help them….just as I would. It is not about that Lisa….. the driver of the Semi is getting verbally bashed and the Company but what no one has said is the “Kid” was ticketed by the Police … not the Freeport Recycling center driver. We need to tell a story with ALL facts not half is all I’m saying.

• October 20, 2017 at 4:18 pm

You are right he got a failure to reduce speed…whats wrong about that is that trooper had no idea I was even there … And now,wants to speak with me … because freeport pd had asked me to go ahead and go !!!!

• October 20, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Mike…. all I am really trying to say about this story is there are way more facts that none of us know about regarding this story. My husband is a truck driver they have certain protocols they HAVE to follow when something like this happens. I’m glad the kid is alright but the part that really upset me is that none of us knows what REALLY happened and it seemed to turn into a bashing of moring disposal and the semi driver.

• October 20, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I agree.. I think semi Driver might have been in Shock.. and I drove semi..my dad was a driver for years and an instructor… I get it believe me I do !!

• October 28, 2017 at 9:54 am

Many companies require you to call them first with the threat of termination if you don’t. There may be a couple of reasons for this. Cell phones may not always give correct coordinates to the accident, and the driver may be disoriented enough to give wrong location, while the company knows your location. Also, it could be a liability thing. Either way, 911 is the best course, but not always company policy.

• October 28, 2017 at 9:56 am

Also, the black SUV sounds like an attorney ambulance chaser.