Freeport’s Secret Underground Tunnels?

Freeport, Illinois — Did you know town lore has it that Freeport, Illinois has or once had secret underground tunnels? A number of sources tell us that city rumor has it that back in the Al Capone mobster days, secret tunnels existed that ran from the hotel in downtown Freeport and lead all the way to once mysterious mansion on the outskirts of town on Galena Avenue. (Shown below)

dr martin home in freeport il

The mansion itself is filled with plenty of Freeport mobster lore with stories of Capone, gangsters, secret walls and helicopters landing here at all hours of the night and day.

It is said that the tunnels are still open to this day.

We’d like to hear from you though. Do you know anything about Freeport’s possible secret tunnels? Chime In

hampton inn freeport il

Buy or Sell Your Next Home Through Kimberly Taylor
Support This News For $5.00 A Month.

12 thoughts on “Freeport’s Secret Underground Tunnels?

• March 17, 2017 at 3:07 pm

I used to work at the hotel downtown as a night houseman when it was the Stephenson hotel. Yes their is a tunnel leading out of the hotel. It is in the boiler room. I only walked a little ways before turning back but it was probably used for some kind of illegal use because of the way it was built. Very spooky.

• March 18, 2017 at 2:39 pm

So someone needs to put on their big boy pants and follow the tunnel out of the boiler room and find out where it leads! Take a buddy and a flashlight and pack a lunch and go for it. You could discover a wonderful new tourist attraction for Freeport!!

• March 17, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Zack Martin (my Nephew), who has been living there for many years, totally denies there are any tunnels on the mansion property. He would have found them if there were any.

• March 17, 2017 at 8:36 pm

I was told that Franz Brewery had something to do with those tunnels.

• March 17, 2017 at 9:36 pm

My mother-in-law’s father fixed a tire for Capone one time
    late at night in Freeport…he didn’t mention it for years.

• March 17, 2017 at 11:58 pm

From what i know of the tunnels they arnt actually in they are not in the mansion itself. It is said the there is one that runs to the guest house though. Where it runs to i have no idea.

• March 18, 2017 at 11:47 am

I live in that (Guest) house, which is actually now a garage that the upstairs is an apartment. I have lived on that property for many years and I can tell you there are no tunnels. There are 6 of us kids and I can promise one of us would have found some sort of evidence haha this article sure did make me chuckle though.

• March 18, 2017 at 2:32 pm

There is a tunnel in one of the houses above Krape Park that has one running from underneath their house that actually comes out in the park itself

• March 18, 2017 at 8:50 pm

I was told by an old timer that there was once a rifle range near the corner of Main Street and Oak Ave..
    He also mentioned the tunnels but had never actually been in them. He said he had used the rifle range, however.
    This man was a well known business man here in town.

• March 19, 2017 at 7:56 pm

My dad, who did work there, was asked by Mr. Joyce if I could come play with their daughter so she would have a playmate. I went many times. I was in about 4 or 5th grade. Everything was very private and secure. We played everywhere all over the property, inside and out. Never saw any signs of a tunnel. If I recall correctly, Claudia (Stephenson) Wenzel came along on one of the visits.

• March 20, 2017 at 9:13 am

My grandmother’s father was a apart of Al Capone’s gang. I have not lived in Freeport for many years and I am trying to picture where that mansion is?

• June 24, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Just an added side note ,Raleigh factory also ran steam thru tunnels to warm Freeport area, the house gate pic looks like west of town, across mobil home park ?