Rockford, Illinois — Looks like CheryVale is pulling the plug on kids under the age of 18 again this year. The mall reported this year that any child who is under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult (or guardian over 21).
The rule applies to only Friday and Saturday evenings at this point and only after 4:00 p.m. Any other time during the mall’s normal hours, kids can shop or hang without the need of an adult or guardian over 21.
You can read the full report below.
Youth Escort Policy (YEP)
Friday and Saturday – 4:00 PM until close or at any other time at the discretion of management
Please note: The Youth Escort Policy can be implemented at management’s discretion at any other day and time when it is deemed appropriate or necessary by management, security and/or local authorities.
The policy is in effect for the entire mall except stores with exterior entrances; including: Bergner’s, Barnes & Noble, JCPenney, Macy’s, and Sears.
The policy includes the walkways and any corridor leading to the mall. In addition, unsupervised shoppers under the age of 18 will not be permitted to congregate in the mall parking lot or exterior common areas.
The policy states:
- CherryVale Mall visitors under 18 are required to be accompanied by a parent or guardian 21 years or older on Friday and Saturday evenings after 4 PM, or at any other time the policy is in effect.
- Security will begin monitoring those entering the center at 4 PM on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Unescorted youth shopping prior to 4 PM on Friday and Saturday evenings must leave the mall by 4 PM or be joined by a parent or guardian.
- Unescorted youth will be asked to leave the center after 4 PM on Fridays and Saturdays, or any other time the policy is in effect.
- Individuals utilizing public or other forms of transportation must schedule their departure time to ensure compliance with the 4 PM youth/guardian policy.
- Individuals in violation of the CherryVale Mall YEP program or in violation of any posted mall rules that refuse to leave the mall when requested to do so by mall security officers may be prosecuted for trespassing.
- Proof of age will be required if the age of the youth and/or parent or legal guardian is not easily determined. Those whose age cannot be determined and who lack identification will be asked to the leave the property.
- Acceptable identification is a photo ID from a state agency, school, or employer.
- Youth under 18 working in the mall will be allowed to access without parent or legal guardian, proof of work status will be required and employees must go directly to place of employment and must leave the mall at the conclusion of their work shift, if after 4 PM on Friday and/or Saturday evenings, or at any other time the policy is in effect.
- One parent, 21 years of age or older, may escort all his/her children. Additionally, one parent or guardian, 21 years of age or older, may escort up to 3 youths, at least one of the youths must be the child of the parent or guardian.
- Parents or guardians are responsible for the actions of the escorted youth.
- Any person violating the posted rules of behavior will be asked to leave CherryVale Mall.
- If an escorted youth is banned from the center, the adult escort will also be banned for the same period.
- Security personnel are responsible for enforcing this policy and the procedures.
- CherryVale Mall YEP guidelines are posted at all mall entrances.