Freeport, Illinois — The Freeport Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a house fire at 478 S. Float on Thursday morning. Freeport Fire reports that Engine 2 arrived and found flames and smoke emanating from near the base of the chimney.
The resident of the property advised personnel there was nobody inside the home, and that (her) 5 dogs and 2 cats were accounted for.
Fire crews extinguished all fire, cut a hole in the roof to assist with ventilation and fire control and checked for extension in the attic. Damage is estimated at $5,000 and Red Cross is assisting the two residents with assistance from the Fire Department Chaplain.
An investigation determined an overheated wood stove pipe likely ignited the exterior of the house at the roofline. No firefighters or civilians were injured and all units cleared the scene at 0945.
|FREE Business Accounts||Try Prime FREE||FREE Wedding Registry|