Freeport, Illinois — Last night in Freeport at the Monday evening city council meeting, council members, Mayor and city staff discussed the topic of this years Trick or Treat day and hours. City officials read into the record a resolution to establish trick or treating hours for Halloween this year on Tuesday October 31st 2017.
City of Freeport Police Chief, Todd Barkalow stated that in past years the annual trick or treat night has went a little later than he proposes this year. Chief Barkalow stated that for safety reasons for all residents, this year he would like to dial that back.
Alderman Tom Klemm said he agreed.
“As we know we really do have issues in a couple streets here in Freeport that are just mad house’s so to speak” Klemm stated. “When it comes to that time safety as a big factor”.
So this year’s 2017 Halloween Trick or Treat times will be Tuesday, October 31st between the hours of 5-7 p.m. These hours are advisory and children can legally trick or treat beyond these hours.
Freeport Police Chief, Todd Barkalow stated that this will allow parents to get out early while it’s still daylight, while still allowing a little bit longer time for the older kids who enjoy the annual Halloween celebration as well.
The city also offers these tips;
Help your child pick out a costume that is safe. It should be fire retardant, and masks should allow unobstructed and peripheral vision. It also helps to have a costume that is highly visible in the dark.
- Instruct children to cross on corners or within crosswalks – and always, look both ways before crossing.
- Props that are carried should be smooth and flexible, so that if the child falls, they are not injured.
- Re-teach your child about stranger-danger. Children should not get into an unknown car, regardless of what the adult says to them.
- Know what route your children are taking if you are not with them. Instruct them to check in every half hour by texting, calling, or stopping home.
- Set a curfew time, and make sure they know to contact you immediately if they expect to be delayed.
- Explain the difference between “tricks” and vandalism. Throwing eggs, etc. can ruin Halloween for everyone.
Have a safe and happy Halloween this year.
The resolution passed by an 8-0 vote in approval of the 2017 Freeport, Illinois Trick or Treat hours.