Freeport, Illinois — It is hard to believe that the regular 2017-2018 school year has ended! It seems like just the other day we were welcoming the students to their first day. The Freeport School District has accomplished a lot during this 2017-2018. Throughout the 2017-2018 school year, our students and educators have continued to amaze me with their talents, hard work, resilience, and courage. Our goal is to provide all students with the best educational experience, preparing them for the challenges of today and the opportunities of tomorrow.
This school year was filled with implementation, adaptation, experimentation, excitement, discouragement, and jubilation. We survived many challenges: new curriculums, loss of loved ones to our Pretzel family, and even a natural disaster. However, the positives outweighed all of those challenges. With our district focus on academic excellence, high quality 21st century educators, communication, and financial stability, the district’s accomplishments in 2017-2018 are impressive.
Here is a snapshot of a few of our achievements:
- Implementation of new curriculums in elementary reading and math
- Data from MAP assessments shows overall progress in reading and math
- The AVID program expanded to 4th grade
- Improved communication rating by parents and community
- Three years of a balanced budget and not increasing the tax levy
- Continued partnerships with local businesses, as well as Highland Community College
- Successful extra-curriculars, including fine arts, NJROTC, and athletics
However, we will continue to push for high expectations. The district will be implementing several extensive initiatives in the 2018-2019 school year that we are proud of:
- Realignment of middle school grade configurations
- One-to-one technology implementation at FHS
- New curriculums in the areas of English, Science and Social Science
- Intense focus on Pre-K and Kindergarten alignment
- Expanding AVID to 3rd grade in three elementary buildings
We continue to push every level of the district to step out of their comfort zone and push themselves to have higher expectations for the students and each other. I am proud of the way educators this year did not just “hang on,” but they stood firm. I am proud of those that continued to stress the positives in the district instead of looking at the negatives. I am proud of the many successes all of the educators had this school year, both collectively and individually. Lastly, I am proud of the professionalism and passion all of the educators continue to provide our students. They are all leaders of Pretzel Pride!
The way we are building stronger relationships with our students and each other, working together to bring in new aligned and viable curriculum, collaborating to find solutions for continued concerns, and committing to making a difference in the lives of our students shows me that FSD educators are willing and able to continue to adapt to the changes needed for our students to be successful. We will continue to find ways to empower greatness in our students and educators.
I want to again thank you for your help and support of the Freeport School District. We continue to strive to educate every student for the challenges of today and the opportunities of tomorrow through the continuous pursuit of excellence.