FREEPORT, ILLINOIS (June 13, 2019) – After unveiling plans to spend $87.5 million in Illinois stores this year, Walmart is announcing the arrival of a high-tech Pickup Tower at the Freeport Supercenter, providing customers with a new, exciting way to shop. The Pickup Tower is a 16-foot structure that functions like a high-tech vending machine and can fulfill a customer’s online order in less than a minute. This popular customer convenience is part of Walmart’s commitment to lead retail innovation that save customers time and money.
The addition of the Pickup Tower at the Freeport Supercenter is just one of 22 Pickup Towers that will be added to Walmart stores across Illinois this year. It is part of Walmart’s plan to spend an estimated $87.5 million this year in Illinois through the remodeling of 16 stores and continued expansion of several innovations that save customers time and money.
“The Pickup Tower is just one of several new innovations at the Freeport Supercenter, including the FAST Unloader and Autonomous Floor Scrubber,” said Freeport Store Manager Judy Needs. “These new features will make for a quicker, easier shopping experience for Freeport customers and we cannot wait for customers to experience them.”
How Walmart Pickup Towers Work:
- Simply choose from millions of items available on Walmart.com and select the “Pickup” option at checkout.
- When the item arrives at your local store, an associate loads it into the Pickup Tower and you will receive a notification.
- When you arrive at the store, step up to the Pickup Tower and scan the barcode sent to your smartphone.
In addition to Pickup Towers, Walmart will continue to innovate to help customers save time and money by creating a seamless shopping experience that gives them the options to shop when, where and how they want. The following are examples of the customer-focused innovations that will be expanded this year in Illinois.
- Online Grocery Pickup – Busy customers love Walmart’s grocery pickup option, which combines the convenience of shopping online and the ease of quickly picking up groceries without having to leave their cars. The best part: it’s all at no additional cost. Walmart plans to expand the popular program to 40 stores across Illinois by the end of the year.
- Grocery Delivery – Walmart’s convenient grocery delivery service is also proving to be a hit with customers. This year, Walmart plans to add the service to 37 Illinois stores, increasing its coverage area in the state.
- FAST Unloader – Today, product is unloaded as it arrives at the store through a complex, highly manual process that has seen little innovation over the last 50 years – until now. A new system in Walmart backrooms – known as FAST – automatically scans and sorts items that come off trucks based on priority and department, allowing associates to spend less time unloading in the backroom and more time on the sales floor with customers. This year, Walmart plans to expand the technology to 50 stores in Illinois. The Freeport Supercenter currently has the FAST Unloader.
- Autonomous Floor Scrubber – The autonomous floor scrubber uses assisted autonomy technology to perform the task of cleaning and scrubbing the concrete floors in stores. The company plans to expand the technology to 52 stores across Illinois this year. TheFreeport Supercenter plans to install the autonomous floor scrubber in the upcoming months.
About Walmart in Illinois
Walmart Inc. (NYSE: WMT) helps people around the world save money and live better – anytime and anywhere – in retail stores, online and through their mobile devices. In Illinois we serve customers at 186 retail units and online through Walmart Online Grocery, http://Walmart.com and our family of brands. We are proud to employ 54,000 associates in Illinois. Walmart supports local businesses, spending $48.1 billion with Illinois suppliers in FYE18 and supporting 2,930 Illinois supplier jobs. Walmart continues to be a leader in employment opportunity, sustainability, and corporate philanthropy. In FYE18, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation contributed more than $36 million in cash and in-kind donations to local nonprofits in Illinois and our Illinois associates volunteered more than 28,000 hours with local causes. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting our corporate website and our Instagram,Facebook and Twitter channels. Visit https://www.facebook.com/Walmart1740/ for news about the Freeport Walmart.
|FREE Business Accounts||Try Prime FREE||FREE Wedding Registry|