So here come the holidays. This time of year is jam packed full of busy schedules, stress and in most cases, lots of food including snacks. Cookies, candy, decadent deserts and rich sugar laden baked goods. Most people have more than one gathering per holiday between family, friends and work so those amazing treats are everywhere multiple times from Thanksgiving to the New Year.
How do we keep from gaining a bunch of weight during November, December and into January? It’s not always easy but it’s definitely doable. Here are some really great tips:
1. Never go to a celebration, party or gathering hungry. Make sure to eat a little bit of something beforehand. Something with protein is your best bet. It could be a hardboiled egg, a protein smoothie or even a ½ cup of cottage cheese. As long as it has a decent amount of protein, you’ll be better off. You can still have some of your favorites at the party, but won’t be tempted to overindulge and you’ll feel satisfied!
2. Make sure to bring a healthy alternative. Lots of parties this time of year are potlucks. So take advantage of that and bring something that you know you can eat. Whether it’s salad, or fruit or even a redesigned holiday favorite, you’ll have something good to eat and you won’t feel deprived!
3. Don’t forget your water! Getting the right amount of water every day is key in keeping the extra pounds away all through the year, but during the holidays, it’s especially important to not cut back on good ole H 2 O! Did you know that being dehydrated can mimic hunger? Yep! So drink that water, bring your bottle along or make sure to ask for it as your beverage of choice (even if it’s between a lavation or two!)
4. Keep moving! We all know it’s going to be tougher to find time to make it to the gym when you have work, parties, shopping and meal prepping all happening at the same time. Look at it this way. You’d make sure to go to a doctor appointment, right? Keep that appointment for your gym work out too!
5. Use a smaller plate and cut your food up into smaller bite sized portions. These two tricks really do work! You see with your eyes the plate being full and all those yummy bites just waiting to be eaten. More trips to the mouth, the brain thinks you are eating more too!
If you don’t have a gym and you want to try out Freeport Health Club, give us a call at 815-233-0066, ext 2. Leave a message if we don’t answer. We’ll get back to you ASAP.
Want to try before you buy? No problem! Call or stop in to receive your FREE 7-day gym pass. If you are looking to lose weight, Freeport Health Club+PLUS (the + is weight loss) is the answer.
Freeport Health Club is located in the lower level of the FA Read Center in downtown Freeport. Freeport Health Club+PLUS is also located in the FA Read Center but in Suite 2.
Ask about our Fall Special! First and last month FREE. Your membership includes 1 FREE personal training session and 1 FREE tune up! There’s never been a better time to become healthier!
Carol J Krupke
Freeport Health Club+PLUS