Freeport Firefighters Suffer ‘Electrical Shocks’ Putting Out Wednesday Night Blaze On Highland Drive

FREEPORT, ILLINOIS — Last night in Freeport firefighters responded to a call of a residential structure fire located at 1769 Highland Drive.

The department reported early Thursday afternoon that first responders found the two story residence to have a working fire with heavy smoke showing from the gable vent of the garage.

“The initial fire attack found that the fire was throughout the structure with fire in the basement, and second floor walls and void spaces”, Freeport Fire Chief Bradley Liggett said.

“The entire home was energized and firefighters operating on the roof and interior if the structure suffered electrical shocks while trying to fight the fire.”

The department said they called for ComEd to cut the power to the home and crews worked feverishly from the exterior of the structure until power was cut and it was safe for firefighter to re-enter the building.

No fire department injuries were reported.

Freeport Fire said one occupant was home at the time of the fire. She was not injured. Firefighters remained on scene overhauling the fire to make sure the fire was out until a proximately 3:50am.

Freeport Fire reports the damage estimate from the Highland Drive fire late Wednesday evening is “at least $350,000”. They said the resident was being assisted by neighbors.

“The fire originated throughout the home through the electrical system” Freeport Fire reported.

The cause of the fire is accidental with the ignition source being a downed power transmission line back feeding power into the homes electrical system.

The department will not be holding a press conference for this incident.

++

Cover photo: Freeport Fire Department

Leave a Reply