Freeport, Illinois — Like the Blues Brothers on a mission from God, the city of Freeport is tearing down houses at a rate never before seen in Freeport’s history. This past Monday night was no exception as Freeport city leaders reviewed a bid to tear 10 additional houses down in the city. The properties on the bid are listed below.
So far this year the city of Freeport has taken close to 45 properties down that were unsafe and unsightly. The bid to spend an additional $69,400 to take 10 more down was approved Monday.
The city is taking an aggressive stance on blighted property in Freeport and says the money to fund the demolitions comes from the Neighborhood Improvement Fund.
Mayor Jodi Miller says she wants to see 80 total taken down by the end of the 2017 year.