Freeport, Illinois — Here are the highlights of the Freeport School District Board of Education meeting held this past Tuesday, January 16th evening.
● Received information on the non-referendum bonding opportunities available to the district. The Board is considering these options as a means of completing facility maintenance work that is needed in the district.
● Considered a proposal to adjust the district’s middle school grade configuration. A task force reviewed the current Gr. 5-8 structure and shared their findings. They recommended that, beginning in 2018-2019, Carl Sandburg become a 5th and 6th grade building and Freeport Middle School become a 7th and 8th grade building. They also recommended the names Carl Sandburg School and Freeport Middle School be used. This item will return to the Board for a decision at its next general meeting on February 6th.
● Considered a proposal to move to a new Curriculum & Instruction Department staffing structure for the 2018-2019 school year. Rather than the current structure of five coordinator positions, the proposed structure would have three administrative coordinator positions who would report to the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction. This item will return to the Board for a decision at its next general meeting on February 6th.
● Considered a proposal to establish and adopt a work load plan for special educators. Illinois special education regulations state that all school districts are required to adopt a work load plan for special educators. This item will return to the Board for a decision at its next general meeting on February 6th.
● Approved the proposed 2018-2019 school year calendar. The calendar is now available for viewing on the district website.
● Approved updates to board policies 620 Curriculum Development, 620.07 Curriculum and Development Standing Curriculum Committees, and 645.01 Instructional Materials. (Additional contact: Dr. Duane Meighan, Asst. Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction, 815-232-0310, email@example.com)
The public is always invited and encouraged to attend Freeport School District Board of Education meetings.
The next scheduled regular meeting will be held Tuesday, February 6, 2018, at 6:00 PM at Freeport Middle School