NOTICE OF MEETING
Notice is hereby given that a regular meeting of the City Council of the City of Freeport will be held on Monday, August 3, 2020, at 6:00 pm in Council Chambers at 314 W. Stephenson St., Freeport, Illinois.
Notice is further given that a physical quorum may not be present, but a quorum will be reached by some or all Alderpersons attending via teleconferencing.
For public viewing and public comments, please refer to the text box at the end of the agenda.
Call to Order
Call the Roll
Pledge of Allegiance led by Alderperson McClanathan
1. Approval of Agenda – Roll Call Vote
2. Approval of Minutes from meeting on July 20, 2020 – Roll Call Vote
3. Public Comments – Agenda Items (limited to 3 minutes per person)
4. Consent Agenda – Roll Call Vote
All items on the Consent Agenda are considered to be routine in nature and will be enacted in one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member so requests, in which event, the item will be removed from the Consent Agenda and considered as the first item after approval of the Consent Agenda. View consent agenda
A. Approve and place on file:
1. Minutes from City Manager Recruitment Committee – April 27 and May 8, 2020
2. Memo Waiving Building Permit Fee for FHN Family Medical
3. Fire Department Reports – June 2020
4. Police Department Reports – April, May, and June 2020
B. Approval of Finance Bills Payable (Register #365, #369, #370, and unnumbered Register – invoices to be approved for registers dated July 16 through July 29, 2020) — $621,015.36.
C. Approval of Payroll for pay period ending July 18, 2020 — $415,742.60 with fringe benefit payments in the amount of $119,105.53 for a total of $534,848.13.
If applicable – Items removed from Consent Agenda
5. Recognition of Service Awards Presented by City Manager Bukas Richard Lindeman, Public Works/Water & Sewer, 5 years
6. Appointments Presented by Mayor Miller
Acceptance of appointment of Boston Newton III to the Housing Authority effective immediately until October 31, 2023.
Approve and place on file: Appointment of Kirstin Hinds to the Board of Northwestern Illinois Community Action Agency (NICAA).
ORDINANCES – SECOND READING
7. 2nd READING ORDINANCE #2020-39: An Ordinance Amending Various Provisions of Chapter 660 – Additional Hazardous Materials and Chapter 242 – Fire Department of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Freeport View Memo At the July 20, 2020, Council meeting, Alderperson Busker moved and Alderperson Ross seconded to move this Ordinance forward for approval at the next regular Council meeting and the matter was automatically laid over to tonight’s meeting. Presented by Chief Liggett
8. 2nd READING ORDINANCE #2020-42: Ordinance Declaring Personal Property in Surplus View Memo At the July 20, 2020, Council meeting, Alderperson Busker moved and Alderperson Parker seconded to move this Ordinance forward for approval at the next regular Council meeting and the matter was automatically laid over to tonight’s meeting. Presented by Director Hinds RESOLUTIONS
9. ADOPTION OF RESOLUTION #R-2020-40: Resolution of the City of Freeport, Illinois Authorizing and Approving an Agreement with Chastain & Associates, LLC to Provide Engineering and Grant Application Services Related to the Freeport Golf Club Drainage Matters View Memo Presented by Director Bukas BIDS
11. Approval of Installation of “Autistic Child Area” Sign near Intersection of 14th and Shawnee View Memo Presented by Alderpersons Ross and Parker
12. Approval of Historic Preservation Commission Façade Improvement Grant Award Recommendation View Documentation Presented by Director Hinds
13. Reports of Department Heads
14. City Manager’s Report
15. Mayor’s Report
16. Council Announcements/New Business
17. Public Comments – Agenda or Non-Agenda Items (limited to 3 minutes per person)
18. Executive Session (Closed Session)
Pursuant to 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1) The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees, specific individuals who serve as independent contractors in a park, recreational, or educational setting, or specific volunteers of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee, a specific individual who serves as an independent contractor in a park, recreational, or educational setting, or a volunteer of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity. However, a meeting to consider an increase in compensation to a specific employee of a public body that is subject to the Local Government Wage Increase Transparency Act may not be closed and shall be open to the public and posted and held in accordance with this Act.
Pursuant to 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(2) Collective negotiating matters between the public body and its employees or their representatives, or deliberations concerning salary schedules for one or more classes of employees.
Pursuant to 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(11) Litigation, when an action against, affecting or on behalf of the particular public body has been filed and is pending before a court or administrative tribunal, or when the public body finds that an action is probable or imminent, in which case the basis for the finding shall be recorded and entered into the minutes of the closed meeting.
Pursuant to 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(21) Discussion of minutes lawfully closed under this act, whether for purposes of approval by the body of the minutes or semi-annual review of the minutes as mandated by Section 2.06.
ITEMS OUT OF EXECUTIVE SESSION
19. ADOPTION OF RESOLUTION #R-2020-41: Resolution of the City of Freeport, Illinois Authorizing and Approving a Memorandum of Understanding with Council 31 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Presented by Manager Bukas
20. Adjournment – Roll Call Vote
The City of Freeport, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, requests that persons with disabilities who require certain accommodations to allow them to observe and/or participate in the meeting(s), or have questions about the accessibility of the meeting(s) or facilities, should contact Human Resources at 815-235-2065 promptly to allow the City to make reasonable accommodations.