ILLINOIS — Ah, new year’s eve is upon us and all over the world people are making plans to ring in the new year in style. The Illinois State Police has a special offer this year for would be New Year’s Eve travelers out there, complete with room and board.
According to the Illinois State Police Facebook page, this year troopers are offering free rides to those who make poor decisions of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol this year. Free rides, that is, straight to a small variety of rooms they have, apparently with your name already on them.
According to the Illinois State Police;
- These rooms are ready at the Gray Bar Hotel chain in all 102 counties across the state of Illinois.
- Each room is typically 6×9 and features stark white or gray cinderblock walls.
- The rooms are highlighted by a fashionable see-through door.
- Each room has a comfortable bed or floor, a freshly pressed wool blanket (most likely dry cleaned after the previous guest) and your own toilet and sink.
- You may have numerous, unwanted roommates at no extra charge.
- If you check in to your room before the kitchen closes, you may receive a bologna sandwich and a bag of Doritos.
- You won’t have to worry about parking at the hotel, as your car will have already been graciously valet parked in the impound tow lot.
- You will not need to provide identification upon check-in, however, a free photograph will be snapped and fingerprints will be taken.
- You may have a long restless night, dreaming of what you have should have done and thinking that you should have not gotten behind the wheel impaired.
Don’t drink and drive.
Don’t let anyone you see drive under the influence.
If you’re hosting, this may mean taking keys and offering couches to sleep on. If you’re out on the town, this could mean alerting the bartender or host to the situation.
It is always dangerous to be on the road on New Year’s Eve. If possible, ask to spend the night with a friend or book a room within walking distance of your festivities to avoid potential drunk drivers. If you must be on the road, be prepared for increased cab fare or ride-sharing surge prices and the pre-existing dangers of driving in winter conditions at night.
If you’re in Winnebago County, the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office has its “New Year’s Eve Safe Ride Home Program. Sheriff’s deputies are giving rides from 11 p.m. through 3 a.m. this New Year’s Eve. Citizens who need a ride can call 815-282-2600.
If you’re in Chicago you can leave your car at home this New Year’s Eve as the CTA will offer free train and bus rides for revelers. Between 10 p.m. Monday and 4 a.m. Tuesday, customers can keep their cards in their wallets as they board buses and trains to get to and from their celebrations, according to the CTA.
If you’re in the Quad Cities region in Illinois and Iowa, thanks to Miller Lite Free Rides (which is also responsible for the Chicago, Milwaukee and Twin Cities free bus rides), NYE partiers in Davenport, Iowa and Rock Island and Moline in Illinois can enjoy free bus rides from 9 p.m. CT on NYE through 3 a.m. CT On New Year’s Day, per the Metro website.”
Miller Lite Free Rides is a community service between Miller Lite and Metro Transit. MetroTransit.org suggests planning ahead and even provides an interactive trip planner. Click here to start planning your free ride home before you begin ringing in the New Year.
As of this writing, we’re not aware of Free rides being offered in Freeport.