FREEPORT, ILLINOIS — City of Freeport officials announced today that in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the following important information is effective immediately:
Starting Wednesday, March 25, 2020 and until the Governor of Illinois rescinds his executive order for residents to stay in place, City Hall and all City buildings will be closed to the visiting public. City staff will be available via phone and e-mail during normal City Hall hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) to assist those with business to conduct with the City. Residents making payments to the City are encouraged to use Automated Clearing House (ACH), or bill pay through your financial institution.
Residents and businesses can also use the 24-hour drop box on the Southwest corner of Stephenson and Cherry Streets, the drop box on Exchange Street by the Utility Department entrance ramp or the book drop box at the Freeport Public Library. The City strongly encourages that drop box payments be made by check or money order. We cannot be responsible for cash payments. Residents can also pay online using the City online bill pay system or call 877-885-7968 to make a payment by phone.
Persons with other business to conduct with the City can contact City staff members:
• For code enforcement, zoning/planning and economic development matters, please call 815-235-8202 or e-mail email@example.com.
• For public works matters, please call 815-235-8210 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For finance and human resource matters, please call 815-599-5816 or e-mail email@example.com.
• The Freeport Police Department remains on duty and vigilant. Those with nonemergency issues should call 815-235-8222. Fingerprinting services to the public are suspended during this time period.
• For the Mayor, City Manager and any other City matters, please 815-235-8208 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For City Clerk, please call 815-235-8203 or email her at email@example.com.
• For the Library please call 815-233-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• For Freeport Fire Department please call 815-235-8217 or email email@example.com.
No late fees will be assessed during the months of March and April for late payment of water/sewer bills and no water shut offs will take place for non-payment of water/sewer bills during this time period.
However, utility users will still be responsible for their bills.
City officials shall continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and shall implement additional preventive and mitigation measures as dictated by Stephenson County Health Department, State of Illinois and federal agencies. Check the city’s website, www.cityoffreeport.org Home page for current updates.
Mayor Jodi Miller states, “With current and ever-changing developments, the City is looking at all of our options to help our citizens and businesses with every aspect of health, safety and welfare. We are working very closely with many agencies as information is changing hourly. We are doing our best in collaboration with the White House, State officials, the County, County Health Department, EMA, FHN and the Township. With each meeting, I am amazed at all the great leadership within our community that is calm, responsive and dedicated to the health and safety of our citizens.”