Early Saturday Morning Mobile Home Fire Claims One

FREEPORT, ILLINOIS — The Freeport Fire Department released information regarding a mobile home fire that claimed the life of one man, and injured a female yesterday morning in Freeport.

Freeport Fire reports that at 5:37 am on Saturday January 4, the Department responded to a [manufactured[ home fire located at 2044 W.Galena Ave, Lot 23. Upon arrival Freeport Fire units found the mobile home to have heavy fire and smoke showing with over 50% of the structure involved in fire.

The department reported that one female occupant had self-evacuated and one male occupant was trapped in a back bedroom.

The female occupant suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to FHN by the Freeport Police Department.

Firefighting crews rescued a male occupant from the rear bedroom, he was transported to FHN where he was later pronounced dead. His identity is being withheld pending notification of family and an autopsy.

The fire was completely extinguished in less than an hour.

Freeport Police and Fire Department called in the Office of the State Fire Marshall and the Illinois State Police Crime Scene Investigator to assist in the fire scene examination. Preliminary determination is that the fire originated in the kitchen and was caused by unattended cooking.

The Stephenson County Coroner’s Office will be conducting the death investigation. They will release the identity of the deceased male when they have completed their investigation.

The trailer and all of its contents are a total loss, Freeport Fire said. There were no working smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire.

The survivor is being assisted by the FHN, the American Red Cross, and the Salvation Army. Her identity is being withheld in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

The department will not be holding a press conference at this time.

Leave a Reply