Make Room On The Fridge For This One. It’s that time of year. Pumpkin pies, gourds, fall festivals and pumpkin patches and while we all know much about this time of year, here are some stats, places to visit, things for the kids and additional tidbits of info about the pumpkin you may not be aware of.
– Illinois is the number one pumpkin producer in the United States
– The top ten pumpkin producing counties in Illinois are: Tazewell, Mason, Wayne, Peoria, Stark, Moultrie, Logan, Kane, McHenry, McLean
– Pumpkin is a fruit because they are part of the plant that contains seeds
– There is a difference between pumpkins you cook and the pumpkins you carve
– Pumpkins are grown primarily for processing with a small percentage grown for ornamental sales through you-pick farms, farmers’ market, and retail sales
– It takes 110 days for a pumpkin vine to produce mature pumpkins
– Pumpkins are low in calories, fat, sodium and high in fiber
– 80 percent of the pumpkins produced commercially in the United States are produced within a 90-mile radius of Peoria.
– Giant pumpkins can grow five pounds a day
– Pumpkins can rage in size from less than a pound to over 1,000 pounds
When to plant: Late May for northern locations, Early July for southern locations.
– Vine pumpkins require at least 50 to 100 square feet for growth; plant seeds one in deep in the ground.
– Bush varieties: Plant seeds one inch deep, and three feet apart
– Bees are needed to pollinate pumpkins
– Pumpkins are ready to be picked with the rind is hard and a deep orange color
PUMPKIN PATCHES & FARMS (always call to verify hours of operation)
Huron Farm Market – 7750 Route 20 West Eleroy, Illinois 815-232-5999
Curtis Orchard – Champaign County http://www.curtisorchard.com
Broom Orchard – Macoupin County http://www.broomorchard.com/
Ackerman Farms – Tazewell County http://www.ackermanfarms.com/
Gail’s Pumpkin Patch – Logan County http://www.gailspumpkinpatch.com/
Bomke’s Patch – Sangamon County http://www.bomkespatch.com/
The Great Pumpkin Patch – Moultrie County http://www.the200acres.com/
Rader Family Farms – McLean County https://www.raderfamilyfarms.com/
Eckert’s Farm – St. Clair County http://www.eckerts.com/
Wagon Wheel Pumpkin Farm – Dewitt County http://www.wagonwheelpumpkinfarm.com/
All Seasons Orchard – McHenry County http://allseasonsorchard.com/
Bandy’s Pumpkin Patch – Williamson County http://www.bandyspumpkinpatch.com/
Bengtson’s Pumpkin Farm – Will County http://pumpkinfarm.com/
Run A Muc Pumpkin Patch – Stephenson County 3063 Becker School Road
There are more than 500 pumpkin farms in Illinois, many with you-pick options:
Free Printable Coloring Pages:
Free Downloadable Coloring Pages:
Won’t You Come Visit Me Today?Grab The Kids and Take a Drive to Eleroy today and Visit The Huron Farm Market. Open all day today on Labor Day.
Posted by Today In The Port on Monday, September 7, 2015