Updated throughout the day. Check back often. To advertise in the news here, contact us.
|Stephenson County Weather Warnings – Full Weather
News Stories For Monday February 10, 2020
- US charges 4 Chinese military members in Equifax breach. The 2017 breach affected more than 145 million people, with the hackers successfully stealing names, Social Security numbers and other personal information stored in the company’s databases. The four — members of the People’s Liberation Army, an arm of the Chinese military — are also accused of stealing the company’s trade secrets, including database designs, law enforcement officials said. The accused hackers exploited a software vulnerability that enabled them to obtain login credentials and navigate the company’s network while searching for personal information.
- Arctic Ale and Art Walk In Downtown Freeport – Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 12 PM – 4 PM. Join us for a fun flled afternoon of artistic exploration!! This event offers a variety of Art, Ale, music and food!
- Video Entries Will Win Cash for Their Schools in Jo Daviess Contest. Jo Daviess County parents and community members are invited to create a short video supporting a safe and alcohol-free prom and graduation season – and multiple winners will get cash for their school. The first 10 videos submitted for the contest that meet all deadlines and rules will each win $25 for the Jo Daviess County school of their choice. Videos will be accepted through 10 p.m. Tuesday, March 10. Complete contest rules – and a few sample videos to view for inspiration – are available on the Illinois Youth Survey page on the FHN website, www.fhn.org/IYS.
- Freeport Library Lectures in American History Series Begins Feb. 12. The Freeport Library Lectures in American History Series begins its 2020 season with a presentation by Dr. Sammy Ahmed, World History and Politics Instructor at Highland Community College. “Native Americans in the Great Lakes” will be the topic of Dr. Ahmed’s lecture, which will be held on Wednesday February 12 at 6:30 p.m. at the Freeport Public Library.
- VIDEO: Pritzker Says Illinois, Not Iowa, Should Go First In Primaries. Pritzker is one of several high-profile Democrats who have called upon their party to reassess the order of nominating states.
- Americans React After Trump’s 2020 State of the Union Address. After the State of the Union address viewers called into C-SPAN to voice their opinions and thoughts of Trump’s speech. It might surprise you to hear what they had to say.
Quote of the Day:
“The real history of music is not respectable. Far from it. Neither is it boring. Breakthroughs almost always come from provocateurs and insurgents, and they don’t just change the songs we sing, but often shake up the foundations of society.”
— Ted Gioia