Steven Turner of Walker Mortuary Pronounced Dead

Freeport, Illinois – We’re not even sure how to say this to everyone, but in what can only be described as utterly heartbreaking, it has been confirmed through various sources that Steven Turner of Walker Mortuary was found dead this morning at the Walker Mortuary Funeral home location in downtown Freeport, Illinois.

Around 8:30 a.m. this morning our own reporters were downtown Freeport when they passed Walker Mortuary and noticed a Crime Scene Unit vehicle parked outside of the funeral home.

Hours later we received an email from a local resident who said her husband had received information that Turner had committed suicide.

We reached out to Deputy Matt Summers of the Freeport Police Department and Tom Leamon, Stephenson County Coroner who confirmed the news.

Leamon said that the family has been notified and that he will be meeting with Steve’s wife this evening.

From the Walker Mortuary website;

Steven Tyler Turner, age 66 of Freeport, IL, passed over Wednesday, September 28, 2016. He was born May 27, 1950 in Freeport to the late Albert C. and Janet (Tyler) Turner. He married Catherine J. Steele on March 29, 1993.

Steve received his Bachelor’s in Education from Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, IL. He graduated from Worsham College of Mortuary Science in March of 1974. He has been the owner of and funeral director at Walker Mortuary in Freeport since 1974. He is a member of and past president of the Illinois Funeral Director’s Association and the Highland Community College Foundation.

Steve loved his cats, his squirrels and his food. He was known for his sense of humor and his gigantic kind heart. He had a gift for helping others and would give every bit of himself to all those dear to him. He never wanted to disappoint anyone. His message to those who mourn was, “grief expressed is grief diminished.”

Steve is survived by his wife Catherine Turner of Freeport; sister, Ann E. (Terry) Frint of Ridott; nephews, Lucas (Sarah) Frint of Winnebago and Adam (Angelica) Frint of Chicago; and his fur babies, Docia Moonstone Lucille, Celeste Sapphire Godiva, and Miette Topaz Estelle. He will also be greatly missed by Buddy. He is preceded in death by his parents.

A remembrance visitation will be held Saturday, October 8th from 10:00 to 2:00 pm with a memorial service beginning at 2:00 pm at Highland Community College on the second floor of Building H. Interment will take place at Oakland Cemetery in Freeport at a later date. A memorial fund has been established in his name. Remembrances and condolences may be shared with his family at www.walkermortuary.com.

Visitation

Saturday, October 8th, 2016, 10:00am – 2:00pm
Highland Community College – Student Center
Pearl City Road
Freeport, IL

Service Information

Saturday, October 8th, 2016, 2:00pm
Highland Community College – Student Center
Pearl City Road
Freeport, IL
We are deeply saddened by this news.

Our thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to all the family and friends during this time.  This is a loss that not only we feel personally, but it is a loss that the entire community will feel indefinitely.

You can view Steven Turners obituary on the Walker Mortuary website here.

5 thoughts on “Steven Turner of Walker Mortuary Pronounced Dead

• September 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm

RIP Steve. You were a great friend and mentor to my kids. We will all miss you.

• September 28, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Steve and I were classmates at FHS but not living in Freeport our paths did not cross often thereafter–When they did, he was always the same friendly, funny, and caring friend I always remember–this is an unexplainable tragedy to me and I hope I may learn more. I mourn his passing.

• September 29, 2016 at 4:20 am

Condolences to Steve’s loved ones. Many years ago, when my maid of honor was dating Steve, they surprised a very happy newlywed couple with a limousine waiting outside the church, after the wedding. It meant a lot to have such fun and thoughtful friends! Steve was kind and good natured to all people and critters. I’m as stunned as I was when Robin Williams passed, I can’t believe Steve slipped away from us. I no longer live in Freeport, my career led me away from my birthplace and hometown. But for Steve to serve so many families, for all of his life in Freeport, he carried others when they needed to face difficult loss. No doubt, we all have a breaking point some time.
    May he rest in peace!

• September 29, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Steve, I’m going to miss you. You have been apart of the Olmstead family for so many years. I dont even know what to say. Thank you for always being there! May you rest in peace! Olmstead family

• January 16, 2017 at 4:42 pm

My heart is heavy as I’m reading this you were a great friend and a wonderful person I just want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me